MORE POWER.
LESS FUEL.
WIN WIN.

UP TO
515 HP.
10% MORE EFFICIENT.

Diane Hames, Vice President, Marketing

"Every incremental change helps to forge a path toward that more efficient future."
Diane_Hamas_Profile_570x300

World-class athletes know the work is never finished. Improvements can always be had - no matter how small. Because when added up, incremental improvements can mean significant overall gains. And that's exactly what our engineers do each and every day at International Truck.

When the A26 engine was launched in 2017, it represented an incredible mix of power, low weight and efficiency. But it turns out, the engineers were just getting warmed up. Between 2018 and 2020, they were able to achieve a 6 percent gain in efficiency through a mix of aerodynamic and mechanical improvements as well as predictive cruise control calibrations. Then, in 2021, an additional 4% was achieved for a grand total of 10% gains since the original introduction of the already efficient engine. 10% is a large number no matter what the application, but for trucks that may travel 100,000 or more miles a year, a 10% fuel savings can make a significant impact on the bottom line.

THE POWERFUL AND LIGHTWEIGHT A26 ENGINE KEEPS GETTING BETTER.

 2018-2019
  • Eaton Endurant
  • Predictive Cruise Control - Engine optimized calibrations
  • Direct Drive 2.15 ratio
  • Drive Wheel Aero Effects
A26_2018_2019

2020

  • Predictive Cruise Control - Engine optimized calibrations (Phase 2)
  • Chassis Aero Enhancements
  • Predictive Cruise Control - Transmission optimized calibrations
A26_2020

2021

  • 2021 A26 engine enhancements
A26_2021

SWEATING THE DETAILS

- Chet Ciesielski, Vice President, On-Highway Truck Business

COMBUSTION ENHANCEMENTS

An increased compression ratio from 18:5:1 to 20:5:1 delivering higher combustion efficiency, along with maximized fuel injection pressure from the 2500 bar high pressure common rail fuel system.

OPTIMIZED ENGINE TEMPERATURE CONTROL

The efficient design of the cylinder head coolant passages helps to reduce parasitic loss at the water pump.  As well as the addition of a variable water pump provides more optimized run time versus constant "on"

AIR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM UPDATES

An optimized exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler intake throttle valve create more efficient charge air flow.  Additionally the Variable Geometry Turbocharger efficiently delivers the desired boost air pressure across a wide range of engine speeds, loads, and elevation.

REDUCED ENGINE SPEED WITHOUT COMPROMISING POWER

A higher horsepower output provides maximum power when needed, while operating at lower rotations per minute (rpm) optimizes the amount of fuel consumed during operation.

NEW FEATURES

Lightweight Engine Specifications

  • ENGINE
    Connecting rod, top compression ring, exhaust valves, sleeve material, damper
  • ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Engine control module, injector harness, engine sensor harness, coolant heater, mass air flow sensor, exhaust back pressure sensor/ tube/bracket, exhaust temp sensor
  • COOLING SYSTEM
    Variable water pump, coolant sensor
  • EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) SYSTEM
    EGR valve, EGR cooler, reed valves, resonator
  • AIR SYSTEM
    Intake Throttle Valve, EGR mixer duct
  • FUEL SYSTEM
    Fuel System New Fuel pump timing, fuel temp sensor, fuel injectors
  • LUBRICATION SYSTEM

    Piston cooling jet

HOP ON BOARD

 

Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and information from International Truck.
Sign up for our communications today.

X
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.
Confirm